Epsilon - MODEL 3442 Miniature Extensometers
Very small and rugged, yet ultra-light weight, these units are widely used for testing small and delicate samples. Ideal for many biomedical tests, as well as for wire and thin sheet materials. Also great for low cycle fatigue testing where short samples are used.
Weighing as little as 8 grams, these tiny extensometers have very low operating force, resulting in low specimen contact force and influence. All use an Epsilon proprietary dual flexure design, which makes them very rugged for their size. Most are only 0.6 inches tall (15.25 mm). These extensometers will fit in the small space between grips, which usually results when small test samples are used.
The Model 3442 extensometers are strain gaged devices, making them compatible with any electronics designed for strain gaged transducers. Most often they are connected to a test machine controller. The signal conditioning electronics for the extensometer is typically included with the test machine controller or may often be added. In this case the extensometer is shipped with the proper connector and wiring to plug directly into the electronics. For systems lacking the required electronics, Epsilon can provide a variety of solutions, allowing the extensometer output to be connected to data acquisition boards, chart recorders or other equipment.
- May be left on through specimen failure.
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design for compatibility with nearly any test system.
- All models can measure in both tension and compression and can be used for cyclic testing.
- Mechanical overtravel stops in both directions.
- Standard units meet existing ASTM class B-1 and ISO 9513, class 0,5 requirements for accuracy.
- Hardened tool steel knife edges are easily replaced. A spare set comes with every extensometer.
- High and low temperature options extend operation from as low as -265 °C (-450 °F) to +200 °C (400 °F).
- Includes high quality foam lined case.
- Replaceable arms and spacers for ease of repair. This also allows changing the gauge length for different test requirements.
- Rugged, dual flexure design for strength and improved performance. Much stronger than single flexure designs, this also allows cyclic testing at higher frequencies.
Model 3442 Available Versions: ANY combination of gauge length, measuring range and temperature range listed below is available, except as noted. Other configurations may be available with special order; please contact Epsilon to discuss your requirements.
Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
Output: 2 to 4 mV/V nominal, depending on model
Linearity: 0.10% to 0.15% of full scale measuring range, depending on model
Temperature Range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 8 ft (2.5 m) standard
Standard Quick Attach Kit: Fits round samples up to 0.5 inch diameter (12 mm) and flats to 0.5 inch thick by 1.0 inch wide (12 mm by 25 mm)
Operating Force: 10 to 20 g typical